Email: How to setup a email account in Mac Mail 8, 9, and 10
Please note this tutorial is specific to Mac Mail 8. To determine the version of mac mail in which you are using. Please see below:
- Open Mac Mail
- Select Mail
- Select About Mail
If you are using version different then Mac Mail 8, please see the Related Articles section at the bottom of this article for a guide specific for your version.
It is recommended that before setting up Mac Mail to use with your domain that you first do the following:
- Have an email address created in your hosting control panel.
- Wait until the domain name has propagated.
The Configuration of Mac Mail
The video below will guide you through the Mac Mail Configuration:
The steps below can be used as an additional resource to the video
- Open the Mac Mail application.
- From the File menu, choose Add Account. First-time users will be automatically prompted to create an account.
- In the appropriate fields, provide your full name, email address to be used and the password.
- If enabled, deselect Automatically Setup Account in order to manually configure the email account, and then click Continue.
- If you wish to have the account automatically configured, simply leave the option selected and follow the prompts provided by the Mail Setup Assistant.
- Choose the proper account type.
- Provide a description for the email account describing what that email account is for.
- Enter your incoming mail server, username and password, and then click Continue.
- If prompted, enter the settings for Mail Incoming Security.
- Add a description for the outgoing mail server explaining what that email account is for.
- Provide the outgoing mail server information.
- If necessary, select Use Authentication and provide the email username and password.
- If prompted, provide the settings for outgoing mail security, and then click Continue. You will then be able to verify their settings in the Account Summary.
- Check Take Account Online.
- Click the Create button to complete the process.
Once the steps have been completed you should now be able to send and receive email via Mac Mail
For more information about Mac Mail Setup Assistant please see the following documentation from Apple