Email: How To Setup a POP3 Account In Mac Mail 7
Please note this tutorial is specific to Mac Mail 7. To determine the version of mac mail in which you are using. Please see below:
- Open Mac Mail
- Select Mail
- Select About Mail
If you are using version different then Mac Mail 7, please see the links at the bottom of this article for a guide specific to your version.
1) Open Mac Mail
2) Click Accounts from the under the Mail menu.
3) Select the + in the bottom left hand corner.
4) A list of account options will appear to the right, scroll down until you see Add Other Account.
5) Place the dot beside Add a Mail account and then select Create
6) Enter your full name, email address and password and click create. Mac mail will now try to automatically detect your settings.
Pro Tip: If you hold the option key down on your mac while at the above menu, the “continue” button will turn into a “next” button, which enables you to skip the automatic discovery feature and configure your account manually using the details that were provided to you in your welcome letter.
7) When the automatic fails, the create button you first clicked on will become a next button which will allow you to then configure the account manually .
Note: If you are intending to use SSL to connect to your email server, please use the server hostname in the Mail Server field (server name information can be obtained from your welcome letter).
- Account Type = POP
- Incoming Mail Server = mail.yourdomain.com (replace yourdomain.com with your actual domain)
- User Name = Your full email address
- Password = Your email password
Once done, click Next.
8) On this screen set the Port value to 110 and ensure Use SSL is unchecked (See note above if you wish to use SSL) and Authentication is to Password.
Once done, click Next.
9) You are now prompted to enter SMTP information. Do so using the following information:
- SMTP Server = mail.yourdomain.com (replace yourdomain.com with your actual domain)
- Username = Your full email address
- Password = Your full email address password
You will now be taken back to your account screen where you will see your newly named account there.
Note: By default Mac Mail will try to route all messages from the program using SSL This will generate certificate errors when trying to send messages out if you are NOT using the server name as your outgoing mail server. To bypass these certificate warnings, you will simply need to uncheck the SSL function within the SMTP settings. Follow this helpful guide to make changes your SMTP settings after the account has been created. /email/customizing-your-smtp-settings-in-mac-mail/
That’s it, you’re all set to email out!.