SSH: How To Install Unrar Locally To Your Account
There may be times where you find that you have a .rar file that you need to extract on your account. Since our servers do not have unrar installed by default, this is something you would need to install locally following these few simple steps.
- Log into your account via SSH
- Download the unrar source file
- Extract the source archive
tar -xf unrarsrc-5.0.14.tar.gz
- Then, you will need to build the installer
cd unrar; make -f makefile
- Now it’s time to install it. We’ll install into the ~/bin folder so that you won’t need to use the full path to execute unrar.
mkdir -P ~/bin; install -v -m755 unrar ~/bin
- Then, clean up the source files once the install has been completed.
And that’s it! You’ve now installed unrar and you should be able to extract your .rar archives on your account.